Monday 12 November 2007

Tasty Tea and Pasties

A) I had found a tiny place called the Three Cooks Bakery, and they make pasties. No, not the little plastic things you put on your nipular region if your boob is hanging out, but they're actually flakey bread - like a croissant - wrapped over to form a pocket, and in the pocket you can put lots of stuff. These people put essentially beef stew in it. MMM. And, only a pound and 70 p for two. That was lunch.

B) I spent a good half hour in Sainsbury's. I decided that I could spend a lot of time just wandering around Sainsbury's and Woolworth's (which I've visited. See below). I spent a good deal of time in the alcohol isles (one for liquor, one for wine) and ultimately decided that I didn't have the money to be extravagant and buy my own bottle. That and I didn't know what to buy. Scotch? Gin? Sainsbury's Brand Gin? I didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount of pounds only to find out that I don't like something.

b1) This alcoholic curiosity was brought on, however, by a lovely lovely dinner at Wendy's house last night, which was AMAZING. Everything I ate was tasty, even the beet and carrot stuff that Read made. I'm not the biggest fan of beets but hey, they were okay for a vegetable I don't like. There was chicken, and salad, and snow peas, and risotto - and then there was a little measuring cup of chicken broth that you could pour on the risotto and the chicken. SCRUMTRILESCENT! And then there were these cupcakes and chocolate ice cream and I almost literally wanted to just roll around in because it was so moist and yummy. Plus I had three glasses of white wine too, so it was pretty kicking. In fact, Avery Macleod, the tricky soundrel, made sure to wait until I had a few glasses of wine in me before he challenged me to Wii Sports. Then, with dessert, I got a big mug of Earl Grey (YES). As things wound down, Wendy started cleaning dishes and Clay and I offered to help. She declined, but invited us to come into the kitchen and "hang out." So, I've officially hung out with Wendy. It was kind of great. And the train station nearby their house looks like something out of Spirited Away too.

C) Without money for alcohol, and inspired by the big mug of tea from the night before, I decided that my little extravagance for the week would be Earl Grey. I bought a box of Twinings Aromatic Earl Grey with 100 tea bags in it! So I'm set. And it was great, because Alison had brought me a box of Petit Beurre tea biscuits from France, and so at around 4 o'clock I sat down with my Earl Grey, my tea biscuits, and I had tea time while writing my blog. Which is this.

4 comments:

SG Bye said...

Yeah, a word of advice? Never buy supermarket-brand alcohol. Just as a general rule.

If you want good, cheap wine, though, look for Yellowtail - it's an Australian wine company. I've never had their whites, but their reds are really good for cheap wine, and a bottle tends to be around £8.

Nate said...

I miss tea.

Life outside of blogland is very good for me-- all sorts of adult responsibilities, of course, but the bottom line is that I come every night and play videogames with my girlfriend, which is really all that matters. And I get to work on my book in what little spare time I have, so I feel productive in my primary occupation AND my intended secondary occupation.

Wiry said...

What are your thoughts on Strongbow cider? I ask because that (and cheap cheap white wine) were the least expensive options for boozing it - the Strongbow 2 liter was esp. nice because I found it delicious and it tended to keep longer than wine (which is good, because one guy at BADA downed a whole 2 liter because he missed his GF, and the subsequent puking was pretty legendary).

Believe it or not, I've never had Russian Caravan tea. I looked it up online, and the descriptions of its flavor seem to be utterly up my alley. So now I'm on the hunt for some, especially as I'm near the end of my favorite tea, Scottish Breakfast. It's in the vein of Irish Breakfast, but it's an Assam/Lapsang Souchong blend... why do I feel like I've told you about it before? Anyway, it's wonderfully smoky/malty.

ALSO. Be sure to buy some boxes of tea in England to bring home. I've compared U.S. Twinings v. the stuff I brought back (or buy imported) and there is a difference in favor of the Brit brand (though it may just be that their tea bags are bigger and therefore the tea's stronger).

Also, thanks for bringing the Magician to my attention. I haven't kept tabs on X-Men for several years, so Ultimate's mostly passed me by. Upon research, I find I rather like this strange bitch of a fellow.

Parsley... hmm...

Spelunker said...

Oh my god. You're starting to cross the fine line between Anglophile and totally converted Brit! Drop the biscuits, now! Real Americans don't have "tea time", Griffin. That's for people who read 'The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland' and find the idea of visiting an old cathedral enjoyable.

...

So people like me, basically.