Wednesday 14 November 2007

Shot to the Heart

No, this isn't going to be about my present romantic escapades in Exeter, don't worry. I mean, wait, I actually can have part of my blog devoted to it. Ready?

...

That was my entry about my present romantic escapades.

Anyway, what this entry IS about is a The Empty Space by Peter Brook. I started reading it, with its opening chapter on "Dead Theater" and subsequently realized that I think I've been doing a lot of dead theater here in Exeter. I think that's the idea in the book, and why he put it as the first chapter, and I think that's the realization you're supposed to have in silent and then quickly read through the rest of the book to figure out how to fix it, but I have a scene for my directing class that went up tomorrow. So, like a Bystander (name that reference!) I am left with the knowledge I'm involved in something wrong, but no way to right it.

More on this later, as I learn how Peter Brook wants me to fix it.

Today I was in the book store to pick up some books (who'd've thought...), some of which were plays for next semester, and I came across a Camdbridge Companion that looked interesting. I own one already on Tom Stoppard. This one was on Greek and Roman theatre. Given the choice between plays I was required to read for next semester, and this, I chose this. So now I have two. When I need to put this one on a bookshelf, they're going to be right next to each other. I'll look so scholarly.

So, a la Erin Ellingwood, I'll end with a little cadre of things accomplished:

Reading:
The Empty Space, Peter Brook
The Everlasting Man, G.K. Chesterton
If on a winter's night a traveler, Italo Calvino
The Cambridge Companion to Greek and Roman Theater, edited by Marianne McDonald and J. Michael Walton

Writing (or toying with):
"The Work of our Hands"
"The Synchronometer"

Re-Writing:
"Asphodel"

Pondering:
Twelfth Night as Christmas Play
A Winter's Tale as steampunk comic book
Lysistrata (e.g. dildos)
Post Secret

1 comment:

The Project said...

Peter Brook makes my life complete.