Tuesday 20 November 2007

Lay Off the Earl Grey

So

Not only have my dreams been unusually vivid, as it's Thanksgiving Break in my mind and my body clock is needing more sleep, but I've actually been very bad to my internal mechanisms.

Over the past view days I have been ingesting Earl Grey by the pitcher. Specifically, last night, because I had so little time last week due to the production of Oleanna, I went to the library and printed out three character sheets for Werewolf: The Apocalypse and Mage: The Ascension. I set about drawing up a character and a half last night, a process which took a few hours of creative revelry.

The problem is that it pushed into the morning, and I had lots of Earl Grey in me, making me trying to get to sleep a mess. My unconscious wriggled madly to try to express itself as I lay awake in bed, half asleep but unable to get there fully because of the caffeine. In a sense I kind of started semi-dreaming while awake, I responded to dream stimuli in a conscious manner. For instance, I remember at one point I felt like there were this collection of rectangular metal cubes (polygons? 3-D rectangles) that were banging into each other around the vicinity of my heart like they were part of some crazy steampunk machine, and I was standing in the middle of them (in my heart) watching it all happen around me. Constantly I felt like I was in the middle of some wind-up device gone horribly, horribly wrong.

And still I sat down to type this, finishing off last night's pitcher.

No comments: