Saturday 17 November 2007

Goodwill

I hung out with some French girls and Clay von Carlowitz today and made Christmas decorations. I introduced the concept of a "Christmas Chain" to the French, but we didn't have any construction paper. So I went with Clay and bought some printer paper and we started decorating slips of it to make into the chain. I went online and found the chorus of the angels during the Enunciation, in Ancient Greek, and wrote it on one of the chains. The classics enthusiast in me was delighted.

Although I LOVE Thanksgiving, don't get me wrong, I kind of like preparing for Christmas this early. I whipped out the "Mabye This Christmas" sound track and the Manhattan Transfer's Christmas album while we were making decorations. It was kind of awesome.

The French were doing this thing where they blew the yoke out of eggs and then turned the whole shells into heads which they stuck on construction paper (they didn't have enough to share with us, though). They also decorated the shells to look like heads, and the ultimate result is these little figures that are, they say, "Christmas Pixies" or something like that. They are, in other words, Santa's Elves. There is a definite difference between a pixie and an elf.

Also, they were talking about whether or not we knew of the story of "Red Cap," which is Little Red Riding Hood. I was amused, because in Scotland and England "Red Caps" are goblins that hang out in castles and kill wanderers, then they soak their hats in their victim's blood. Red Caps are a cautionary tale not to go in old abandoned buildings (and a playable splat in which rpg?).

I miss rpgs. Sigh.

Anyway, I wish I could prep for Christmas with all y'all. I miss Kenyon and America just a wee bit.

No comments: