Thursday 8 November 2007

A Curious Phenomenon

I don't know why, but I'm in the strangest mood to be classified and cast. Not necessarily cast in a show, though that would be fun, but ... like in a quizilla quiz, except they suck. But I just feel the sudden urge to find out "what herb are you?" or "what super hero are you?" or "if you were a character from X, which one would you be?" Albeit they are merely hypotheses and nowhere near to scientifically accurate, but it still is fun, and for some reason I'm craving it.

The only cause I can think of is culture shock. I know I've dealt with it a lot in my writing, and I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not trying to hammer a point home. I'm trying to demonstrate the manifold responses to it, especially since it is a constant in your life - I'm constantly reminded that I'm not from around here, even just by talking to people. And it is ... I guess "disconcerting" is the best word. It puts you on your toes.

Also, like all other high school and middle school dorks, I was a huge fan of quizilla, so not only does it appear to be maybe a kind of apollonian response to tragedy (categorize me, order, make order! sort of a thing), but you could also read it as regression.

Or it's just an urge, if you don't like Nietzsche or Freud. I mean, I don't.

That said, if you would like to offer your own casting or categorization of me within any fictional universes, or as one kind of inanimate object over another, or something, feel free to post and say whether or not you want me to return the favor, because I will.

4 comments:

The Project said...

Alright, lets throw down a few:

Superhero: Chamber (from Marvel/X men...you just barely missed being Cyclops...be happy)

Character in "R&G are Dead": Rosencrantz

Dinosaur: Duck-billed Dinosaur.

Vegtable: Rudebegha (don't actually know how to spell that)

Mage Clan: Order of Hermes

Pantheon (old-school gods): Greek

Building at Kenyon: Palme House

Feel free to "return the favor" (sugestive wink), adding and subtracting categories.

Wiry said...

Hey, Jeff! It's like the game we played with the Bacchants!

Incidentally, Griffin, if you haven't thoroughly explored OKCupid's quizzes, I reccomend them highly. It can be a bit hard to sort the needles from the crap, so let me know if you need rec's.

Incidentally, categorizing also appeals when one is bored. Hmm...

Fruit: Pear

Shape: Rectangle

Commedia character: An amoroso, like Lelio or Flavio

Tea: Ti Kuan Yin Oolong tea

Classic Movie Monster: Wolfman

Shakespeare Play: (don't say twelfth night don't say twelfth night) Twelfth Night

Decade in the 20th Century: 00's

X-Men Character: Shadowcat

Month: September

Herb/Spice: Rosemary

Spelunker said...

Yes, classifications! I love them! Let's see, some for you:

Firefly character: Simon Tam

Building in Boston: The Garage in Harvard Square (place with comic, game, and knicknack shops, not a place for cars)

Greek God: Hermes

Handheld Technology: Sony Reader Digital Book

Apostle: Paul

Soup: Tomato

I'm sorry if my list is lame. Jeff and Anthony took a lot of good categories. Feel free to categorize me with these types and others! :o)

Wiry said...

You're the Garage in Harvard Square? Weird. I eat lunch in you every day. You have good burgers. And pho. And too-expensive-gothesque-hipster clothes. But I got cool Beetlejuicey gloves there, so I shouldn't complain. Thanks!