Sunday 18 November 2007

Spider-Pig

I saw The Simpsons Movie tonight. I don't know if anyone really understood it like myself, Clay and Ken. I mean, take a bastion of American culture and put it in Europe... I found myself
laughing out loud at jokes that fell completely flat, like when the book club gets enraged and one lady says to another "you're the five people I'm going to meet in Hell!" Maybe that book didn't hit it big in Europe...or when Homer is battered between a bar called "A Hard Place" and a very large rock. Maybe that expression doesn't exist. They certainly didn't laugh when Marge insisted that she didn't need women's razors to prevent a clerk from noticing a wanted sign with her family on it, insisting that "we're European." THAT one sucked dead air, except for me, and I was laughing in part because I was sitting next to two French girls that came with us.

Maybe I'm just ethnocentric. Maybe I'm just an asshole. Europe might want to get more of its own movies, though. So far the CineSoc has played things like "Transformers" and as Ken pointed out, even if you're a member it costs a pound fifty. KFS is free.

1 comment:

Cherubino/Carmen said...

The Simpsons movie makes my life. My favorite quote, aside from the Spider Pig sequence:

Homer (watching silo labeled PROPERTY OF HOMER SIMPSON float in polluted river): .... That could be anyone's pig crap silo!!