Thursday 29 November 2007

Call to Adventure

England, The Realm, the Isles of the Mighty, is calling to me. I'm really beginning to jones for going out into the countryside and just sort of getting lost in the Southwest. I'd do that tomorrow if I didn't have so many things to do. I guess that's what always happens, though. People always have things to do, no one just outright GOES on an adventure. In United Kingdom, adventures go on you!

"It's not that I like the Empire - I hate it - but there's nothing I can do about it right now!" says Luke in A New Hope. That's what I feel like right now. Which sadly means that the Uncle Owens and Aunt Berus of my life are going to be massacred by Imperial Stormtroopers and burned alive while I'm out hunting for R2.

Hmm... what are the Uncle Owens and Aunt Berus of my life right now...

Uncle Owen: facebook/my room. I spend way too much time in my room either working on stuff, being introverted (necessarily so), or trying to sleep or catch up on more work. I need to go party or something. Or if not party, at least go have tea.

Aunt Beru: Lysistrata, plain and simple. I LOVE IT and my actors are great, but at the same I've got to do a lot of work to make sure it happens. That's fine, and it's not that Directing was an uneducational course to take, but I'll be happier taking Music and Theatre, a mon avis, when I don't have to coordinate schedules.


Okay, so applying mythic structure, in particular Star Wars, to your life isn't an entirely feasible life-coaching exercise, but you know what, it's helpful.


In other news, I had a pantomine, or a panto, described to me this week, since I plan to see one around Christmas to soak up the English tradition. What with all the cross dressing, call-and-response, and terrible jokes, it should be right up my alley, right? I somehow suspect it won't be.


Also, I just encountered the amazing Disney Game, if that's even the term, by none other than reputed scholar, Ryan Merrill. You pick a hero, a villain, and a sidekick (any secondary character) for yourself. Remember how I had that post a while back about the need to be classified? Well, as you can imagine that's come rushing back to me.

So here's my shot at it. By all means, disagree.

Hero: Jack (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
Villain: Edgar (The Aristocats)
Sidekick: Marahute (The Golden Eagle from Rescuers Down Under.)

For a while I was thinking for James from James and the Giant Peach, or Beast, for the Hero. Jack won out in the end, though. But who knows.

2 comments:

RM said...

Okay, let's address these one at a time.

First, I'd love to take a look at your play. I can say with some pride that I've had 3 playwriting instructors during my tenure at Kenyon, so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I have several conflicting opinions of everything.

Second, Regarding clowning in printed form. Most books on clowning unfortunately offer more tips on the perfect white matte pancake make-up than practical tips. However, there are a few commedia books I can recommend that should help your production immensely:
Commedia Dell'Arte: An Actor's Handbook by John Rudlin

Commedia Dell'arte: A Handbook for Troupes by Olly Crick and John Rudlin

& Playing Commedia: A Training Guide to Commedia Techniques by Barry Grantham

The last might be the most useful to you, as it doesn't focus on commedia material as it does techniques. However, it's also the priciest. If you pop on Amazon and check them out, you might find some good prices or comparable reading for less. I hope that helps.

Third, Iron Man. Well, The trailer seems promising. And I like what I've seen of Robert Downey Jr.; But I distrust Favreau as a director, and because he was in Daredevil. I also worry about any movie that has four people listed on the screenplay, which means it probably went through nine writers total. Also, from what I understand of the comics, Gwyneth Paltrow was a poor choice for her role, though I'm beginning to think I could say that about any movie she's been in.

Fourth, I'm fine.

Let me know about this Asphodel.

Kisses,
Ryan

SG Bye said...

If you want adventure, you should go up north - Yorkshire (especially the moors) and the lake district, in Northumbria. Apparently North Wales is also really amazing.

That's my recommendation. Not that I've actually been to any of those places. : ) Except York, which is, of course, in Yorkshire.