Friday 1 February 2008

Decimation: Free Time

Dear All-

I'm sorry I haven't updated this blog in a long time. As it turned out, I needed one heck of a break.

After classes ended and I had that wonderful talk about families, my week was kind of depressed by news of my mark for Lysistrata. Actually, I didn't even ask for the mark, because my professor's first words when I walked in were "Well, Griffin, I don't think that worked."

That was the first Monday of my first week of being 21. The rest of the week I spent setting up a variety of pen-and-paper RPGs, specifically Hunter: The Reckoning, which I was more than pleased to get going, but also to finish. With Hunter out of the way, me and the rpg group have moved on to a much more fun game, in my opinion: Changeling.

My poor little computer has broken, fixed itself, broken, fixed itself, and it seems to have entered into a more permanent phase of being broken, which sucks, because not only did I have all my Changeling pdfs on there (that was another magical adventure, downloading them on the exeter network and printing selections out to show to my players), but it has all of my plays, and with the Kenyon Playwriting Festival coming up, I'm somewhat at a loss because not only all of my half-started story ideas, but my older drafts of previous works, are on that computer. I'm endeavoring to take it to a tech guy in town, but I doubt the price will be much good.

And finally, Clay von Carlowitz and I are trying to host a Murder Mystery party. After 10, yes 10 hours, of brain wracking and plot-devising, we decided that making our own was too far over our heads, and we settled for downloading a premade one online, which is by far the MOST HYSTERICAL SCRIPT I'VE EVER READ because it's so awfuly bad. I guess that's the point though. We literally have two days to get it set up, too.

Today I'm missing my horseback riding lesson because I didn't realize I had a class during it, becuase said class was supposed to meet all this week, but decided that by "this week being the first week of classes" it would make Friday the first class, meaning that I didn't have any classes until Wednesday, because Drama delays their classes a week after exams. So, although I've had absolutely no academic requirements, except attending this class today and Wendy's class, I have been utterly innundated with planning, creative activity of the less-fruitful, more-spontaneous kind, and assorted other wonderful things. And I'm actually very tired. My brain hurts.

My classes this semester include:

Music and Theatre: Drama. We examine the history of music in theatre and what makes it work. Apparently a lot of opera, but we have a final project on Shakespearean songs.
Comedies, Comedians and Romances: English. The history of comedy in movies and Hollywood, includes analyzing When Harry Met Sally.
Contemporary British Drama: Wendy. That's right, the class that was all the rage last year is now MANDATORY for the Kenyon-Exeter group because Wendy's teaching it, and oh-how-sweet-it-is to be garunteed a seat. Sure, Turgeon isn't helping out, which would be fun, and most of the students aren't Drama students so there's had to be a quick going-over of Aristotle's Poetics, again, but after our first class on The Homecoming I am very excited to see where this goes. Sillily, I didn't read The Homecoming, but instead read The Caretaker, which is just as fun, but in less prostitution-y ways.

Oy.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Comedy, Comedians, and Romance is a great damned class. I assume you have Steve Neale for it, who is an amazing guy.