Sunday 2 December 2007

Katty's (Kaddy? Caddy? Catty?) Owner

On the train to Bath on Saturday, I sat down across the aisle from the most uncommonly amazing sight I'd seen in a while. A middle aged woman with a dog on the train. It was little, but not a tiny yappy dog, just a mutt of some kind or another, but a pretty one.

Eventually I mentioned to her that her dog was very polite, and nice-looking. We got to talking, and she was going to visit her daughter in Bristol, who lived in a house-boat. Her daughter worked in the Bath/Bristol area and commuted via her house boat. This daughter was actually in the process of selling her house boat, so we talked about the crazy times my parents had subdividing their property - how over ten years the records in the Bucks County Archives had met a disgruntled employee who destroyed the records. Oh the absurdities of selling a house. This lady and her daughter were going to meet up and then she was also going to see her other daughter, who lived in Wales but was meeting them in Bristol, and they were all going to have a grand old time together.

She and I talked about how dogs have a special place in a family, a special connection with humans. Dogs and cats. She said that they understand so much, and wished that there were humans who understood as much as they did. Then she said she thought there were some, but there were enough humans who didn't to ruin it for everyone else. Two years before she had lost her husband, who was really close to both of the cats they had, both of which were blue persians. When her husband died, all of the animals would keep checking around for him, and the cats died a month later, having lost the will to live. The dog even continued to check for him.

The dog's name was Katty, by the way. And she was 16, though she didn't look it. She lay there the whole time completely silent, looking around but politely keeping her peace. The lady said that Katy was dreading going on the house boat because she hated losing her balance all the time.

It turned out that this lady was born and raised in Greece, on one of the islands, and that even moving to England had been a shock to her, simply in how desensitized everyone was. We talked about that for a while, because I consider myself desensitized and I kind of don't want to be. We talked about Greece for a while and me wanting to go there and where, off the beaten trail, was good to visit.

Then we talked about how her daughter was a social worker who worked, for a while, with drug addicts, but moved on to Child Services. Not a job this lady could do, she said, taking people's babies away. Though she did think, as a mother, she'd be good at it, because she could tell exactly what was a good mother and what wasn't. Her daughter hadn't had children yet, so she thought it must be different for her. We talked about how stressful it must be, how much of a horrifying job it is.

I think we probably talked about a lot I can't remember right now, but may remember later. The thing is then this guy came and sat down in the seat next to her and the conversation stopped. The guy had "LOVE" and "HATE" written on his fingers, like from Lost. I asked, "do you like lost? You've got 'love' and 'hate' written on your fingers."

And he said, "best not to think about it," or something like that.

And the conversation stopped dead. Once we reached Bristol and everyone got off the train - us to change for another train to Bath - I quickly asked her if I could pet Katty. She was happy to let me, and I did. Katty was an old dog, and not particularly pettable, but she was at least polite enough to let me do it. And I introduced myself, and this lady had some complex name that I can't remember. And then we said goodbye.

Best single serving friend ever. You ever get that sense that certain people you meet must actually be angels, and they're just pretending to be human? That's the sense I got from her.

2 comments:

The Project said...

PS: the whole Love/Hate thing tattooed on the hands is a lot older than Lost. Actually, I think the more famous one was Love/Fuck.

Kind of a prison thing, actually.

Or: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_of_the_Hunter_(film)

Although I think it's a little more common now.

Hope England is wonderful.

Spelunker said...

I met one of those angel/people on my way to Kenyon from Boston after Stew and Anna's thesis. I was taking a bus up to Portsmouth, NH to catch my Skybus flight but realized that I didn't have a way to get from the bus terminal to the actual airport. I politely asked the two middle-aged women in front of me in line if they'd taken this bus before and if they knew of a shuttle to the airport. One of them said she didn't know if there was a shuttle--there were taxis certainly--but that she'd just drive me there after getting her car at the bus station. It was so profoundly nice and out of her way; I was touched. We talked for a while after, got to Portsmouth, she drove me, and I thanked her numerous times. In response she just said that, were it her daughter in need of help in a new place, she'd hope that someone else would do what she did for me.

In other news, it's 9 degrees here in Boston and snowing with high winds. Enjoy your tepid English rain, you whore. ;o)