Friday 11 January 2008

Act Two...?

In a three act work, that is...

The semester is one, long, work-infested week away from ending, but then freedom, lovely lovely freedom. I felt the need to reflect.

I have a wide variety of stories that I can tell about England. Most of them are chronicled, more or less right around when they happened, in this blog. I didn't notice it but the blog passed the 50-post mark a while ago. I think it's in the 60's now.

But my point is that I have a variety of stories. People unfamiliar with this blog can ask me, "how's England?" and I can say "It's great. I saw a marathon production of the Histories," or "I went to Scotland," or "I attached a giant rubber penis to a woman and put her onstage outside." And they can say, "wow, tell us more." And I can. And while I'm at this vantage, I've got another semester ahead of me, hopefully ripe with even more stories, and so at this demi-act-one-finale, this seeming zenith of my Exeter experience, I have a moment to sit and reflect on the stories as they've happened, and look ahead to the stories that have yet to. It's just not an experience I get to have very often. It makes me think of Three Tall Women by Edward Albee.

Also, I saw Charlie Wilson's War, and I was not impressed.

2 comments:

Spelunker said...

Really? I very much enjoyed Mr. Wilson's War. Julia Roberts was not nearly as annyoing as usual, Mr. Hoffman gave another astounding performance, and Tom Hanks himself shirked his stereotypical "American Poster Boy" image. Plus, I loved the politics of it as I'm getting more into the history of what's going on in the Middle East these days. What was your particular beef about it?

Spelunker said...

p.s. GO TO ATHENS! It's more expensive to get to from the US, and when are you gonna get to go again with such cheap airfare? As much as I love the Motherland (by which I mean Ireland), there are always airfare sales to Ireland from major US cities. You can go to one of the theatre ruins in Greece and imagine what it would have been like to strap a dildo to a girl's head in a stadium that could seat over 10,000!